You'd go a million miles? Really? And your love is the size of … Wales? Or is that a whale? Or Luxembourg? Or an iceberg, or a double-decker bus? What? It will only take a minute? But now you say it will go on for ever! That's a mighty long/short time. How far away are you? Light years? Or is that in squared light years? That's a big area. And that's no surprise, as this week we're looking at songs that have a tendency to declare and speculate, sometimes gloriously, sometimes ridiculously, in mentioning all manner of measurements of time and distance, whether in specific terms or employing vast exaggerations or generalisations.
Is there any harm in a little hyperbole? Perhaps the format of song demands it. So, in a little twist moving on from last week's tremendous response to songs about small things, ingenious RR friends, feel free also to nominate those that use specific units of distance or time, especially if you suspect, despite sincerity of feeling, they are totally made up. And so with anything from rood to hide, furlong to rod, pole to perch, lap to league, mile to microsecond, aeon to instant, let's create a chain of measurement references that, whether silly speculation or sonorously stupendous, are also artfully approximate.
This week's master of measurement and very precise RR ruler is the ingenious Abahachi, so line up your nominations below by 11pm BST on Monday 19 May for his highly accurate follow-up on Thursday 22 May.
To increase the likelihood of your nomination being considered, please:
• Tell us why it's a worthy contender.
• Quote lyrics if helpful, but for copyright reasons no more than a third of a song's words.
• Provide a link to the song. We prefer Muzu or YouTube, but Spotify, SoundCloud or Grooveshark are fine.
• Listen to others people's suggestions and add yours to a collaborative Spotify playlist.
• If you have a good theme for Readers recommend, or if you'd like to volunteer to compile a playlist, please email [email protected] or [email protected]
• There's a wealth of data on RR, including the songs that are "zedded", at the Marconium. It also tells you the meaning of "zedded", "donds" and other strange words used by RR regulars.
• Many RR regulars also congregate at the 'Spill blog.