When I'm driving in hot weather I use the air conditioning to keep cool. This keeps most of me comfortable, but it dries out my eyes no matter where I point the blowers. I then have to turn the air conditioning off since vision is quite important when driving but then I get too hot and the cycle starts again!
What can I do to keep my vision clear, but stay at a comfortable temperature?
- Stay hydrated before you go -- this can only help. (But not so hydrated that you have to stop to do your... er, business.)
- Stop at a rest area and sit with your eyes closed for a while.
- (I've done this, but it may not be a good idea) Close one eye at a time for short periods (<3 sec.) when you are the only car around. (i.e., you're not merging on the highway or in heavy traffic.)
- Wear glasses (if you don't already).
- Use eyedrops that are made to keep your eyes hydrated.
Get yourself a set of sunglasses of which the actual lenses can be replaced. Popular low-cost sets have 3 different colors: black, orange and transparent. The black blocks 90% of the light, the orange about 40-50% and the transparent 10%. That 10% is negligible for sight, but it does keep the dry air away.
I usually wear them while biking, which seems like a comparable situation.
This should do the trick, I think.